Monday, November 30, 2009

Shaktipat Diksha and Kripalu Yoga

I wrote An American Yoga: The Kripalu Story in large part because I  felt compelled to say something about, and describe as best I could, the phenomena of  Shakti and Shaktipat Diksha.

I capitalize these words intentionally in order to designate something that I feel is profound, invisible and largely beyond our everyday mortal grasp. But understanding and experiencing such things are, for me,  the real purpose of Yoga (or any advanced spiritual discipline).


I can't describe in a blog what it took me years to experience, write, rewrite, and detail in the book, but suffice to say that if Yogi Amrit Desai did not receive Shaktipat Diksha from Shrii Kripalvanandji there would be no Kripalu Yoga and all that came with it.  Kripalu Yoga would have been just another new but regular way to practice yoga postures and meditation.

Clearly, that isn't what it is and that's not what happened. Yogi Amrit Desai is now acknowledged as being one of the original 'spiritual pioneers' to bring some of the most esoteric practices of Yoga to the West, and The Kripalu Center he founded flourished in his wake, becoming the largest yoga-based retreat and educational institute  of its kind in the world.

Many writers have acknowledged the phenomena of Shaktipat and attempted to dissect and analyze it; but none have described the unique effect it has on human development and how it plays out in the real world in story form.

Until now. I therefore invite you to read The Kripalu Story, experience it, and share your thoughts and comments with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment